Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsResearchers helping area students move more and sit less

Researchers helping area students move more and sit less

Local research is being used to help students and families from Sundridge Centennial Public School.  

The school community is working with researchers at Nipissing University, providing data about student movement patterns, including physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and sleep.  

Officials say the results are benefitting students, families, and the school as they work on changes to everyday practices that enhance students’ ability to achieve. 

The Move More, Sit Less study by Dr. Brenda Bruner and Dr. Barbi Law, professors at Nipissing University, gathers information about student activity levels throughout the entire day, not just during school.  

- Advertisement -

The Near North District School Board says the research showed students’ habits were good in some areas, but many had poor sleep or spent too much time sitting. 

Principal Jill Cooper says after the initial round of data collection, staff started movement and body breaks and noticed a significant change in the children’s ability to focus. 

Intermediate students using “wipe books” that allow them to stand to solve a problem. (Photo supplied by the NNDSB)

Other initiatives include wipe books and dry erase chart paper allowing students to stand and solve problems.  

Officials say the study is also helping students to improve their sleep by teaching them to be more mindful of screen time or hearing notifications through the night.  

A ‘sleep week’ initiative has been started by the school’s student parliament with officials saying the hope is that students will value the importance of getting nine to 11 hours of sleep daily. 

Students who track their sleep goals this week are invited to a pajama and movie celebration on Friday, June 21.  

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading