Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsProvince funding $400,000 in post-secondary mental health supports

Province funding $400,000 in post-secondary mental health supports

More details have been announced involving provincial funding for mental health and addictions services for post-secondary students.  

Late last week, the province said $5 million is going to 10 post-secondary schools, including locally.    

Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced $400,000 for Nipissing University and Canadore College.  

He says the money will help Nipissing, in partnership with Canadore, support unique “back-to-campus” services for students in hospital care for acute and chronic mental health conditions.  

- Advertisement -

“Our government recognizes that timely access to mental health resources provides the support needed for students to achieve their academic potential,” says Fedeli.  

Kevin Wamsley, President and Vice-Chancellor of Nipissing University says the mental health and wellbeing of their students is a top priority. 

“This new funding will provide welcome support for students experiencing mental health challenges, as well as contribute to the growth and continued success of our Peer Support Program,” he says. 

George Burton, President and CEO of Canadore College, says they understand that moving into post-secondary education can be an exciting time, but it can often bring emotional hurdles beyond academic adjustments.  

“We’ve long prioritized the overall well-being of our students, and we appreciate Ontario’s latest investment in mental health and addiction services, enhancing the support we already provide,” he says.  

The local funding breakdown is as follows: 

Canadore College: 

• Mental Health Services Grant: $107,236.56
  • Mental Health Worker Grant: $100,000.00

Nipissing University: 

• Mental Health Services Grant: $111,085.63
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading